Top 10 Tuesday is hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. Today’s theme is Ten Characters I’d Name A Child/Dog/Cat/Car/Etc. After.
- Greyhame, from The Lord of The Rings by JRR Tolkien: This is one of Gandalf’s many names, meaning “greymantle” or “greycloak” and is also the name of my current (grey) car. I like the sound of it.
- Achates, from The Aeneid by Vergil: My current computer is named after Aeneas’ bestie. There’s really no reason for this except I like the name and Achates seems like a nice dude.
- Mary Russell, from Laurie R. King’s series starting with The Beekeeper’s Apprentice: one of my previous cars had this name. It got totaled and I don’t like to talk about it but I love Mary Russell and gosh I loved that car.
- Felagund, from The Silmarillion by JRR Tolkien: I really want to name a dog Lord Finrod Felagund Hewer of Caves someday. Better than werewolves if you know what I mean.
- Matthias, from Brian Jacques’ Redwall series starting with Redwall: I like this name and I see no problems naming a child after a tiny sword-wielding mouse.
- Mara Jade, from Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn: I can’t decide if I would rather name a daughter or a tabby cat Mara, but bonus points if you have two animals you name Mara and Jade. I like the name Mara and I like the name Jade and I love Mara Jade so I don’t see a downside.
- Cress, from Cress by Marissa Meyer: This is a cute name. I don’t know, I would name a cat or dog or child this and cuddle it forever.
- Gimli, from The Lord of The Rings by JRR Tolkien: this just seems like a really good name for a grouchy little dog with delusions of grandeur. Maybe a Scottish Terrier?
- Mina Harker, from Dracula by Bram Stoker: This would be a good name for a computer or a typewriter: it’ll organize your information for you and be the best at it
- Alexander: Whether it’s referring to The Great, Hamilton, or Lightwood, it’s just a good strong crazy name, IMHO.