Stay tuned – I will be update this post with my reading progress from 5 am October 22nd to 5 am October 23rd for Dewey’s 24-hour readathon. I will also be on twitter @bahnree.
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? The Pacific Northwest! It is wet here.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Hmmm I’ve heard a lot about Shadowshaper by Daniel Jose Older. A lot of the books in my stack are by authors I haven’t read before which hopefully will work out.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Popcorn popcorn popcorn *lifts popcorn bowl and pours popcorn directly into my mouth*
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I feel like I’m trying to quit smoking or something because there are no Star Wars books in my stack…..WILL I MAKE IT???!!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I’m reading ONLY e-books (or that’s the plan) which I have never done for Dewey’s before. Eeeeek!
Pages read: 56
Books finished: No books but a short story, “How To Piss Off A Failed Super-Soldier” by John Chu. I really loved it!
Six Word Story: She feared music, and thus danced. #SixWordStoryRAT
Pages read: 74
Total pages read: 135
I am reading Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal. It seems like a magic retelling of Pride and Prejudice so far.
Bookish Other Half: My bookish other half is Sophie from Howl’s Moving Castle. I have a lot of inner “old lady” tendencies and I lose my temper and I find the description “Sophie was remorseless but she lacked method” very relevant to me.
Pages read: Not sure, but I took a walk and listened to three chapters of The Tropic of Serpents by Marie Brennan. It has a REALLY wonderful audiobook narrator!
— 🎃Spook-anie Howl🎃 (@bahnree) October 22, 2016
Pages read: 78
Total pages read: 213
Pages Read: 20
Total pages read: 233
I was at Bible Study, so we read a few chapters of Isaiah.
Pages read: 68 from Shades of Milk and Honey and I listened to three more chapters of The Tropic of Serpents.
Total pages read: 301 + 6 audio chapters
I read “Carnaval of Souls” by Jilly Dybka for the poetry mini-challenge.
Book Memories challenge: One of my most significant book memories is picking up The Fellowship of the Ring. It was intimidatingly thick but I realized not much bigger than Redwall, and suddenly realized that yes, I COULD read this book and I WOULD. I read it in 2 days and it got me interested in a bunch of things including writing, folklore, mythology, and languages. Thanks, Tolkien!
Literary World Tour Challenge: I would definitely go to New Zealand and explore all of the places used in the filming of the movies (based on my favorite books everrrrr). Even if I didn’t love LotR, New Zealand has AMAZING scenery!
Cast Your Book Challenge: I’m reading Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal. I would cast Jena Malone as Jane, the protagonist, because Jane reminds me of Charlotte in Pride and Prejudice (2005), played by Malone, and also because I really like Jena Malone.😄 I would cast Lily James as Jane’s Sister, Melody, who is very pretty but sort of a drama queen. I would cast Oscar Isaac as Mr. Dunkirk who is charming and nice to everyone. I’m not sure who I would cast as Mr. Vincent…..maybe Matthias Schoenaerts?
I finished Shades of Milk and Honey! WHooooo!!!! I enjoyed it but the plot was a little strange for the last little bit and then everything was really tidy?
Books finished: 1
1. What are you reading right now? Deerskin by Robin McKinley
2. How many books have you read so far? 1 book: Shades of Milk and Honey, and 1 short story: “How To Piss Off A Failed Super-Soldier” by John Chu
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Ummm pretty much anything on my list. I’m excited to try Throne of Glass.
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? I went to Bible Study which was a planned distraction, but otherwise I’ve listened to audiobooks while walking or cooking, so it’s working out.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? It’s pretty much the same as other readathons I have done. I’m enjoying my audiobook, which is pretty weird I guess.
I’ve been reading Deerskin by Robin McKinley which is really weird, D A R K time. I’m just starting The Girl At Midnight which seems entertaining!
Pages read: 200
Total pages read: 592
Finished The Girl at Midnight!
2 books finished (and parts of 3 others read)
1 short story finished
3 hours of audiobook
849 total pages read
10 mini challenges completed