Top 10 Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. This week’s topic was “Top Ten Books to Read If Your Book Club Likes____.” I chose dragons, as is right and proper.
- Beowulf by Anonymous: Read this book if you like dragons with possessiveness problems, epic poetry, monsters, monster-hunters, and dragon hoards.
- His Majesty’s Dragon by Naomi Novik: Read this book if you like dragon-riding, lots of man-dragon Friendship, man-man Friendship, man-woman Friendship, Napoleonic wars, alternate history, and a high variety of dragon species of all sizes
- A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan: Read this book if you like Victorian-ish fiction with dragons, realistic dragons, realistic dragon behavior, science, dragon science, lady scientists, and mysteries.
- How To Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell: Read this book if you like middle-grade, dumb jokes, funny jokes, grouchy tiny dragons, grouchy giant dragons, friendship in the face of bullies, friendship in the face of dragons, and daddy issues.
- Seraphina by Rachel Hartman: Read this if you like lots of magic, mystery, espionage, and dragons who can live in human skins. PS this is a beautiful book, please read it.
- Traitor’s Moon by Lynn Flewelling: Read this book if you like dragon-bites in uncomfortable areas, lots of prophecies and portents, backstabbings, boys being bros and bros being boys, and dragons of various sizes.
- The Children of Hurin by JRR Tolkien: Read this book if you like life-ruining dragons, dragons that eat happiness for a light appetizer and joy for breakfast, cursed heroes, badass moms, cursed besties, and a high body-count.
- Tehanu by Ursula LeGuin: Read this book if you like survivors, dragons in human skin, quiet love stories, adopted family stories, and comeuppance.
- The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente: Read this if you don’t know the difference between a wyvern and a dragon, or if you know and love them both.
- Dragon and Thief by Timothy Zahn: Read this if you like space dragons, thieves, boy and dragon Friendship, and symbionts.