This week’s prompts was “All about the visuals” whether it be comic books, graphic novels, picture books, etc etc. After way too much thought and much too long of a list, I settled on my top 10 favorite manga. Please note: not the top 10 best manga I’ve ever read, simply MY FAVORITES. Tl;dr don’t fight with me about the quality, I like what I like the end.
- Fullmetal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa: “Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles!” Besides being a phenomenal story and brilliantly crafted, I want to hug it to pieces. Filed under: Science And Municipally-Approved Books, Found Family
- Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya: It’s like a love story except there’s twelve of them and friendship conquers all also they turn into animals????? Filed under: Formative Literature, Squad Goals
- Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle by CLAMP: Time-travel space-travel adventure of my heart tbh Filed under: Too Many Clones, Too Many Feels
- Ouran High School Host Club by Bisco Hatori: It’s like a love story except there’s six of them and they think she’s a boy at first but then she’s not but they would die for each other and also they like to wear costumes and role play???? Filed under: It’s PG I Swear, Funniest Stories
- Rurouni Kenshin by Nobuhiro Watsuki: This one is really rewarding to reread – there is a lot going on and a lot of threads that are set up early and carry through. Filed under: I’m Upset About A Lot of Dead Historical Rebels, Found Family
- Death Note by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata: It’s like a love story except- oh wait no it’s not a love story, it’s a death story, Light, please stop, what, wait what are you doing no oh no that’s a lot of blood. Filed under: Hugs for All, Things I Shouldn’t Love As Much As I Do
- D.N. Angel by Yukiri: Fair warning, I’m pretty sure this series is on indefinite hiatus. But it’s still one of my favorite stories about teens. Filed under: Disguises Galore, Thieves With Hearts of Gold
- Tactics by Sakura Kinoshita: This is another one on indefinite hiatus. TokyoPop’s demise ruined my manga upbringing, basically. Everything I know about Japanese folklore I learned from this series. Filed under: Oh No I Love Everyone So Much, Why Am I Crying Again
- Tokyo Babylon by CLAMP: This one is set up as an episodic romcom and then suddenly Plot Twist and it turns into a murderous rampage leading up to the apocalypse and I love it with all the tiny black monsters of my tarred soul. Filed under: Why Am I Crying Again, Perfection
- Ghost Hunt by Shiro Inada: Sometimes I forget how much I love ghost stories, and then I read something like Ghost Hunt and experience pure joy while clever characters investigate hauntings and try not to get murdered. Filed under: Be Safe, That Guy is Probably Dead the Whole Time
Top 10 Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.